Sunday, February 20, 2011

Shake

I pounce every time Marked lands in my inbox, so I pounced when I had a chance to wish you a happy birthday.

I know nothing of role-play or dice games - what on earth was I thinking!  Anyway, I hope a few Em/Seth drabbles add a little to your day.

Kate (Conversed)

***



Shake.



I was lost, and more than a little pissed, when I heard the muted sound of dice being shaken.

Looking at the room number I’d written down whilst in a temper – annoyed that one fucking science class stood between me and my team – I slammed into the classroom.

I might have been a little huffy to hear that the catch-up science group met every Wednesday, not Tuesday.

I guess I could have apologized for interrupting the role play game that was going on.  Instead, I puffed and blew, and didn’t smile back when a dark-eyed dude said, “Want to shake?”


***


Grumbling wasn’t my regular way.

Bitching and moaning certainly wasn’t my style.

In any given situation I’d always try to see the bright side.  But, man.  Failing science was weighing heavily on my mind. No pass, no play; that’s what the rule book clearly said.

I could have used practice time to study, but I kept getting distracted.  Instead of working, I found myself thinking about the kid who shook his dice in my face, before asking who had pissed in my cornflakes.

When he asked me to shake his fucking dice for luck, I might have rolled my eyes.


***


Maybe the Internet was keeping me from studying -- I tried the library instead..

Lining up all my pens took a while, just like sorting out my papers.  There’s only so much time you can waste getting ready to start work, but I did my very best to stretch it.

Science just wasn’t my thing.

Looking at the same page over and over didn’t improve my mood, and neither did quitting early to go get some lunch.  The line for food was endlessly long, so I stomped across to another cafeteria.

I didn’t know that they played their game there too.


***


I wasn’t work-avoiding. I was just taking a long study break.  I’d heard that it’s good for cognition to think about different shit, so staring at one science book all day would only make me more stupid.

I watched people come and go, moving around the players as they took up more and more tables.

That would never have happened at Forks High. Those kids would have had to meet in secret.  But damn, I hadn’t ever seen so many black framed glasses and skinny jeans in one place in my whole fucking life.

When he shook, I stood to watch.

***


Edward used to do that shit.  He’d beg a lift into Port Angeles, and spend his birthday money on books with weirdly ordered pages.  I couldn’t see the attraction, it seemed bizarre beyond belief.  Who wants to read a story that tells you which page to turn depending on how your numbers roll?

What was wrong with Stephen King?

Maybe I was a little hasty in my laughing.  Maybe I should have taken the time to let him speak, but I was a snot before I left home, so I usually ignored him when Edward asked me to join in.


***


I called him later and we had ourselves a talk.  I think once Edward and I hashed it out, he forgave me for being such a shit big brother the whole year before I left.

If things had been different I might have been able to confide in him more, but you know how it is.

It was bad enough working things out for myself, like why cheerleaders didn’t ever catch my eye, while Jake from La Push made wish we were alone when we showered after a game.

I came out just before I left for college.


***


Edward helped me over the phone.

We started off talking about science, but later he helped me learn a new game.  Who knew that role playing shit had more rules than football?

When I wasn’t studying, I’d take myself off for a wander.  I wasn’t looking for anyone in particular; I was just exploring the campus.  Sometimes I’d catch a glimpse of them playing their dice rolling game, but I didn’t hang around or linger.

That dude was far more excitable than all of the others; he’d read stuff out, then point and laugh so hard he’d end up shaking.


***


I was out with the team -- catching up on the games I’d missed that week while we got together over a meal -- when I realized he was our server.

I couldn’t make eye contact while he talked us through the specials, and I kept my head down when he came to take our order, but I felt warm breath against my ear when he leaned in to pick up the menus.

He was very attentive all through the evening, but it wasn’t until we were leaving that I saw his badge when I paid the bill.

My name is Seth.

***


Tuesday was the day before Science catch-up class.  This time I knew where I was headed, and I made sure not to be late.  Instead, I was a whole twenty four hours early.  

Seth winked when I shook the dice.

I told myself it was just like sitting in the changing room that day we knew the scouts had come to watch us play.  I could only do my best – that’s what Mom and Dad said.  They knew that I was committed and that I’d always tried hard for my team.

Playing on my own was scary beyond belief.


***

I was beaten before I even started.  Seth sat with his hand across my shoulder, explaining what was happening.  Even with Edward’s advice I had no fucking clue – it was like they were talking in a foreign language.

When all the other dudes packed up and left, Seth asked me if I was single.

I’d kissed before, but not like that.

Never like that.

Not hot, and deep, and hanging on for my life.

Needing more.

He’d been watching me all week, wondering who I was, but now he knew for certain.  I was the one who made him shake.

***




2 comments:

  1. As always, your words are perfect and pretty. Love the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one more than made up for the serious painfulness of the last one. Thanks for the fluff - I'm always happy to get drabbles and a different pairing. Love a good Seth. And I loooove an Em that likes as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete