Sunday, February 20, 2011

Precious Little Moments



Surprise

“Are you doing okay over there?” I asked, rummaging through the mess of make-up and hair supplies on my vanity.

Turning to look at me, bright blue eyes widened with joy, Helen nodded her head quickly.

Both her hands were fumbling with another little clip, trying to get the loose strands of hair to stay in place.

“How does it look mama?” Her words were timid as she shuffled over to stand in front of me. “Do you think daddy’ll like it?”

Lifting my hand, I brushed a few loose strands off her forehead, smiling.

“He’ll love it, baby girl.”

Celebrate

A knock at the front door pulled me from the moment.

“I’ll be right back, baby.”

The words were spoken with a soft sigh. It was starting already and while I was excited about the plans for the night, my sister was a force to be reckoned with when it came to just about everything.

Especially parties, or even semi-large gatherings.

The doorbell rang as I reached my destination. I couldn’t help but roll my eyes.

“Tone it down, Ali,” I playfully admonished as she rushed inside, and spun on her heel to face me.

“Everyone is on their way.”

Ballet

I couldn’t help but laugh as she continued to spin in place, graceful as ever. Her antics quickly alerted Helen to her presence.

“Aunt Ali!” She shouted, running from the bedroom.

Their giggles were loud and boisterous as Alice span Helen around in circles, instructing her on various positions as she did so.

“Just like that, little one. Perfect.”

Alice’s praise, even though not directed at me, still warmed my heart. I was more than glad that Helen hadn’t inherited my proclivity for tripping over air.

Stopping them both mid-spin, I shooed Alice into the kitchen to finish setting up.

Swan

Picking Helen up with a little grunt, I carried her back to mine and Jasper’s room and settled her into the seat in front of the vanity.

“You want to help me finish getting ready?”

The question was a rhetorical one. She always wanted to help me get ready, even if it were for something as mundane as going to the grocery store.

Her only response was to rifle through my jewelry box, little fingers searching out the pendant that Jasper had gotten me years prior.

“The bird,” she instructed, handing it to me, a small pout on her lips.

Princess

With one last glance at both of our reflections in the large mirror, I nodded my head.

“You ready, baby?”

Tilting her head to one side, a contemplative expression stole over her face.

“Not yet,” was her eventual response.

“Oh?” I questioned, one eyebrow arched as she hopped down from her seat and left the room. She returned only a moment later with a tiara perched precariously on her head.

“Now how do I look?”

A grin stretched across her face as she spoke, hands absently smoothing down the already wrinkle free dress she wore.

“Just like Belle,” I responded.

Family

As soon as we made our way back into the main living area, hand in hand, the doorbell started ringing again.

Releasing my hand, Helen made her way to answer it, glancing at me over her shoulder with a questioning look on her face.

“Go ahead,” I told her after a quick peek out the window to make sure it was someone I knew.

Half a second later, the door was flung open and she was in her Uncle Emmett’s arms as Rose looked on in amusement.

In no time at all, everyone was present and accounted for, except Jasper.

Precious

I watched the time as everyone talked amongst themselves.

Helen was curled up on the couch between her two favorite uncles, giggling quietly in between throwing excited looks toward the foyer.

The sound of crunching gravel and the low purr of an engine had her off the couch and pressing her face to the window in a matter of seconds.

Even from where I stood, behind her and a little to the side, I could see the smile that completely lit her face up.

I knew I wore a similar expression.

“Daddy’s home!” She exclaimed, turning to catch my eye.

Hold

We’d done everything we could to make sure the party was a complete surprise for Jasper this year, even going so far as having everyone park in an empty lot at the opposite end of the street.

As the car door slammed outside, Edward picked Helen up around the waist and wrapped his arms around her.

“Shhh,” he whispered, though it was loud enough for everyone inside to hear. “We don’t want daddy to know what’s going on yet.”

“Thank you,” I murmured to Edward, grateful for his intervention.

Helen smiled in response, eyes showing remorse as she immediately calmed.

Delight

Surprise!”

The shout rang out from all sides as Jasper pushed the door open and stepped across the threshold. His expression was equal parts of amusement and shock, and I grinned widely.

Helen was the first to reach his side, clambering up him as best as she could. Her failed attempts were rewarded as Jasper lifted her from the ground, twirling her in the air.

It seemed that we’d finally been able to catch him off-guard with this party.  

I waited as he greeted both our families. His bright blue eyes were alight with laughter, as he moved toward me.

Tender
The party had been winding down for the past hour or so, and Helen was tucked into his side, in his arms, face buried in the crook of his neck as she snored lightly.

It was a sight that I would never get tired of.

His love for her, for me – for us – radiated off of him in waves, and always had. The look in his eyes as he approached me now, though, was an amalgamation of everything.

Our past. Our present. Our future.

Together.

“Thank you,” he murmured as he leaned down, brushing his lips over mine softly, sweetly.





2 comments:

  1. Very sweet. I loved the descriptions of the little one who seems to have grabbed everyone's attention and of course the party.

    ReplyDelete